Tarporley War Memorial Hospital
Tarporley War Memorial Hospital has been in existence since 1919 and was built to support those coming back from the First World War. Until 1948 the hospital was financed by local authority contributions, but then the NHS took over the building and its surrounding lands. By 1970, all small hospitals throughout the country were coming under threat of closure and Tarporley was no exception. The people of Tarporley and surrounding villages began a “Save Our Hospital” campaign, and in 1978 a League of Friends was formed to lead the fight. The hospital remains an independent charitable trust and as such is governed by a board of trustees.
Today the hospital specialises in the rehabilitation of the elderly, intermediate care and supporting terminally ill and palliative patients. They also have a day care unit, minor injuries clinic and a range of outpatient activities.
Our brief was to redesign and refurbish part of the building to enhance the clinical accommodation, increasing the number of treatment rooms and support offices and improving the waiting areas and reception. The hospital was looking to radically improve the experience for patients, staff and visitors.
After listening closely to the client’s requirements, we began transforming the existing layouts.
As the hospital was to remain fully functional throughout the refurbishment, a phased approach was taken, with clinics moving temporarily to other parts of the building whilst work was taking place.
All projects have their challenges and this one was no exception, the first step was to make structural changes to the space, removing and erecting new walls to sub-divide the area into treatment and consulting rooms. Key to this project was functionality, durability, hygiene and safety, with bespoke lockable medical cabinets being fitted to treatment rooms and preparation areas. For infection control purposes armed taps were fitted to basins, new hygienic flooring was fitted to treatment areas and all seating upholstered in impermeable finishes. All finishes for the cabinets and furniture were carefully selected to provide a surface perfect for hospitals.
With clever design and space planning we transformed the existing reception area and support offices to provide a more flexible and spacious working environment. Installing a modern reception desk with DDA compliant features and a new storage system helped to maximise the space. Wood effect, easily maintained flooring was introduced to compliment the desking and soft seating and a new decoration scheme was carefully chosen to deliver a warm comfortable feel. Statement graphics incorporating the hospital logo put the finishing touch to this building being transformed into an amazing environment with the ‘wow’ factor.
This hospital is an independent charitable trust and as such it relies on donations, legacies and various fundraising events to finance any refurbishment works. Fortunately on this occasion they were able to raise the necessary funds to enable them to make the significant improvements, creating a cleaner, more comfortable place for patients, staff and visitors.