Staff got a case of the blues today?
…it seems they’re not alone!
Scientifically proven to be the most miserable day of the year for workers in the UK – Monday the 18th January 2016 is ‘Blue Monday’
So, why is it depressing and how can you improve staff morale this Monday?
The third Monday of January has been given it’s title due to a combination of post-Christmas blues, dark, damp winter evenings, bills arriving and payday still days away. Businesses have reported that this combination could cost them millions in lost productivity, meaning something needs to be done to entice a ‘smile’ to their employees’ faces….
There are a number of different things you can do to cheer your staff up, here are just a few suggestions:
- Re-design the layout – Where possible position desks near windows. Not only can this reduce energy costs by optimising the natural light in the office, reports show that it can also improve employee health.
- Add some colour – Small touches can make a big difference, you could even use office furniture to add colour to the space.
- Give staff a break – Even the most dedicated staff will need a break. Creating a breakout area where they can relax, eat their lunch or simply recharge their batteries can refresh and energise staff.
- Get physical – Encourage staff to get up from their desks and take a walk, ban the use of internal telephone calls and emails for the day, you’ll be surprised how much the mood improves in the office when people actually speak face to face.
- Give them a treat – How about a bacon butty, or if everyone is dieting a bowl of fresh fruit.
Of course improving morale doesn’t have to cost you money, employees love to be praised for a job well done. A pat on the back today is sure to raise a smile with the grumpiest of staff!